Thursday, October 14, 2010

art history

Someone donated a huge library of art books to my work this week and I've been going though them bit by bit. I found this wonderful book (of course I didn't write down the name of it) of American Impressionist Painters. Now normally I hate impressionism. Mostly because the museum here in Atlanta feels it's the only period of artwork worth exhibiting. After looking through this book, I realized we never really studied many American artists before the 20th century in art school. It's really a shame because there are some amazing paintings from that time.

Here's a few of my personal favorites:


Hide and Seek by William Merritt Chase



The White Girl Symphony in White Number One by James Whistler



Fleur-de-lys by Robert Reid



April Love by Arthur Hughes

No comments: